Saturday, December 19, 2009

Final Fantasy I

If anyone knows me then they have to know that I am a huge geek. A really huge geek/nerd/dork. I don't hide it. I like to display it proudly. I am not ashamed of what I am.

One of my greatest obsessions as a geek/nerd is Final Fantasy. For those of you who do not know, Final Fantasy is a video game series that has touched the hearts of millions of young teenage boys like me. There are over 45 games in the series. The newest game in the series, Final Fantasy XIII was released in Japan on Thursday in Japan. I'm a little upset that it won't come to America until March...

The series is the sixth best selling video game series of all time, with over 92 million copies being sold worldwide. The total amount cash made from these games is probably more than I will ever make in my life.

I first came across the Final Fantasy series when Disney for whatever reason thought that they should make a video game that would cross Final Fantasy with Disney. The result was Kingdom Hearts. A random cross-over between franchises that sounds pretty lame, but ultimately wasn't too bad of an idea.

I got Kingdom Hearts for Christmas in the fourth grade. The game made me a curious young chap. Why were some of the girls dressed in only short skirts and bras? Why do some characters have really spiky hair and the others look like Goofy? I needed to know! So I went to Blockbuster and rented probably the greatest game ever made, Final Fantasy X.

I got my hands on this little jewel when I was still in the fourth grade. This game can be described as perfection. Because that's what it is.

The story of Final Fantasy X takes place in a world called "Spira." The plot essentially revolves around religion and people being destroyed by a giant magical flying whale named "Sin." Sin decimates entire cities when the people become to wicked. The God of the world entitled "Yu-Yevon" chooses pure souls to be summoners. Summoners are beings that can summon the souls of the dead as powerful Aeons, (Good monster things.) to vanquish and destroy Sin. Once Sin is destroyed 1000 years of peace begin. After that, Sin is born again and starts to kill stuff again. The whole thing repeats endlessly.

I just went nerd on you people! Anyways, moving on, Final Fantasy is really great. The series has taken up an embarrassing amount of time and cash into my life. It also has influenced our media. People don't even know it too! Unless they're losers like me! Anyways, Final Fantasy has influenced me in ways I can't describe. I talk about it all the time, and even quote it to my friends. (Most of them don't realize I'm quoting something.) My girlfriend Christina always laughs at me whenever I talk nerd. I can't help it though, it's part of my life.

The greatest moment where I showed my nerdy side best was when Christina and I were walking through the halls at school, and some old bloke wasn't being very nice. Christina was offended by the obscene things that this poop-head was doing. So I decided to take manners into my own hands. I stood in front of him and said, "Leave her alone, or I'll Thundaga your ass!" The level of terror in his eyes was something to behold. It made me feel good, and I think Christina respects me for my nerdiness now... I think.

For those who don't know what Thundaga is, you read all about it here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Thundaga

Or you can just look at this picture and figure it out yourself.

I think the whole thing is self explanatory. Anyways, I think I've written enough about one of my passions. I'll continue some other time, because believe me, I could talk about Final Fantasy forever.

Join me next time I talk about Final Fantasy, for even more nerdy information. By the way, if you read all of this, then I'm impressed! Very impressed! Good job!

2 comments:

  1. You are such a great writer Brandon! This made me laugh... I now know what it means to "thundaga" someone's ass. I'll remember to use that line on Christina if she gives me any crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Final Fantasy = Awesome.
    I am so excited for 13 to come out..should look pretty sweet on my ps3. From the footage ive seen it looks pretty good.
    The Kingdom Hearts for the DS was actually pretty good...although I really really want them to make a fourth game.

    ReplyDelete