Thursday, March 4, 2010

COUNTDOWN: Final Fantasy XIII, Day Five


COUNTDOWN: FINAL FANTASY XIII, DAY FIVE


Before we begin talking about Final Fantasy V, I just want to say one thing. You see, right now I'm pretty sick. I have a sore throat from hell, and therefore am in no mood to be typing a countdown for Final Fantasy XIII. So this post is probably going to be pretty short. But don't worry, I'm going to try and type this post just for you. Because I like you a lot. Now, don't take that too serious, and let's talk about Final Fantasy V.

I said in my Final Fantasy IX post that Final Fantasy IX was the most under appreciated game in the series. This is technically not true... you see, Final Fantasy IX was released in America and people knew about it. Final Fantasy V wasn't released in America until 1999. It came in a bundle entitled, "Final Fantasy Anthology;" the bundle included Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI. Most Americans ignored the release and the few that bought it, bought it just for another chance to play Final Fantasy VI.


Final Fantasy Anthology was the only legal way to play Final Fantasy V for many years. The Playstation bundle has sold over 350,000 copies.

So, when speaking in terms of reality, Final Fantasy IX is the most unappreciated Final Fantasy. But Final Fantasy V is the most unplayed... I'm not sure if that made any sense, but I have a headache, so we're going to just move on.

Final Fantasy V was released in Japan in 1992 on the Super Nintendo. As stated before, it didn't come to our shores until 1998.

The story to Final Fantasy V began on a day when the wind stopped blowing due to the fact that the wind crystal blew up. Following a young adventurer with an ugly name, Bartz was the new protagonist of the series... his name sounds like Barf. Anyways, Bartz and his trusty Chocobo (A Giant yellow bird that the characters in Final Fantasy ride on.) happen to notice that a meteorite fell through the sky and landed near their camp.

A Chocobo. Aren't they cute?

While investigating the landing site of the meteor, Bartz finds a young woman named Reina being attacked by some weird monsters. After slaying them, and saving the day, the boy then finds an old man suffering of amnesia. Just like Terra, all he seems to be able to remember is that his name is Galuf. The three journey for a way to solve the problem of the lost wind, but as you may have suspected, the story unfolds into an adventure bigger than anything they imagined.

In short, Final Fantasy V was just as epic as the series had ever been. It's just a pity that hardly anyone has ever played it. I actually really enjoy Final Fantasy V. The gameplay is rock solid, and the music is fun to listen to. You also have the fun option of going into bars and playing the piano. The more you play, the better you get. It's kind of fun. Although the story isn't the best of the series, I've always had a small place in my heart for Final Fantasy V since the characters (particularly Galuf) are so charming.

I think I'm done now. I feel really light headed so I'm going to wrap this up before something bad happens to my soul. So we've only five days left (Counting today) until the release of Final Fantasy XIII. I'm going to be sure to take pictures of me and the other nerds camping out for it... if there are any other nerds. I really hope I'm not the only one out there...

No video today... since Final Fantasy V doesn't really have that many.

2 comments:

  1. Great Article...all I have to say...
    CHOCOBOS FTW

    ReplyDelete